Tuesday 12 November 2013

[DIY] basic quilt



I was recently shown how to make a very simple and basic quilt. Over the years I had started making complicated patch work style quilts and I am simply not patient enough to put in the hours upon hours of work that they take, even though they are beautiful.

Here is what you need to do to make this basic quilt :)

Process your fabric; you can put it thru your washer/dryer or soak over night and hang to dry. This step will wash out any excess dyes as well as pre-shrink your fabric. 

It is best to use 100% cotton or cotton/ploy blend fabric; for a baby quilt you one yard total, I used 2 yards because I wanted a little bit larger quilt. I wanted a different fabric on the front vs. the back so I purchased 1 yard of each.


ONE: Cut your fabric to size, you should have two pieces that are the same size...a top and a bottom. Sew the edges of the top and bottom. Give approx. 5/8" - 3/4" hem.

TWO: Lay out the bottom, place your batting on top and cut the batting to size. Lay the top on top of the batting + bottom.

THREE: Pin the edges

FOUR: Thread a larger needle with a coordinating yarn

FIVE: Tack the quilt in your desired design...start your first row 3" to 5" from the edges to prevent the fill from shifting

SIX: Once you have tacked your quilt, sew it all together. Follow the stitch line from your original hem as close as possible.

It is that simple!

I love the the quilt I made and we use it all the time. (Thanks for teaching me Glo!)

Put your sewing skills to the test and give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment